The Long Range Shrine Club is hosting their Fourth Annual Cardboard Box Race on April 6, 2019 at 1PM. Be the fastest down the hill with your homemade cardboard winter vehicle. There are prizes to be won and it’s certainly a lot of fun! See below for details, categories, and rules.
- – The races will take place on Saturday, April 6, 2019 at Marble Mountain, NL.
- – Registration will take place from 10 AM to Noon on the day of the races in the main lobby,
adjacent to guest services.
- – Registration Fee is $10 / team of 2
- – All vehicles will be inspected for compliance to rules at the time of registration. The decision
of judges are final.
- – All participants will be required to sign a waiver prior to participating in the event.
- – All participants under 19 years of age must have a parent or guardian sign a consent form on
their behalf before participating in any races.
There will be five categories for competition:
- Elementary (Gr. 4-6)
- Junior High (Gr. 7-9)
- High School (Gr. 10-12)
- Parent & Child
- Open Category: for any corporate or individual teams interested
- – Timed races will start at 1 PM by category, with two vehicles participating in each race.
- – The winners will be the team with the fastest time in each category.
- – In the event of a tie in any category, winners will be determined by a run off race.
- – One prize of a $50.00 Marble Mountain gift card will be awarded to the team with the fastest time in each category. One prize for most creative vehicle and one prize for most spirited team will also be awarded. Seven prizes in total.
- – Vehicles must be constructed only with cardboard, paint, tape, glue, rope, twine, and plastic
- – Vehicles must have a front, rear, bottom, and two sides.
- – The sliding surface must be either uncoated cardboard or cardboard covered with tape.
- – No other substance may be on the sliding surface (absolutely no sprays or waxes).
- – No wood, plastic or metal may be used for anything but decorations (which are encouraged!)
- – Decorations must not pose a hazard to participants or spectators.
- – Preexisting metal staples in cardboard must be covered with tape on both sides.
- – Participants must be able to push or pull their vehicles to the top of the track.
- – Helmets are encouraged for all but are mandatory for all participants under 19 years of age.
- – All vehicles must cross the finish line to qualify for prizes…not necessarily intact, but all
participants and (most of) their vehicle must cross the finish line.
- – Unsportsmanlike conduct is grounds for disqualification.
- – Participants are not allowed to strap themselves into their vehicle.
- – Cardboard box vehicles can be left in the receiving area by the Main Lodge and will be recycled by Marble Mountain. Please bring your derby box, or the remnants of the box to the area adjacent to the dumpsters (near the base of the Black Mariah).